Feeling the effects of our pandemic hibernation, lifestyles focused on wellness and homestays are trending strong and will continue into 2022 and 2023, particularly among millennials. Accordingly, cool shades of blue—from indigo to powder blue to Scandi blue—that support the relaxation vibe are popping up everywhere, including among decorations for the 2021 Christmas season.
Upmarket Christmas retailer Balsam Hill says that blue hues are in already, inclusive of people who celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah, and that blue is showing up in wreaths, garlands, and ornament sets, among other decorations.
Not sure how to make it happen in your home? We’ve scoured the retail scene and found these festive blue holiday decorations so you can stray from the season’s traditional green and red motif with confidence.
Christmas trees—from blue spruces to navy stunners
Let’s start with the centerpiece of most folks’ celebrations: the Christmas tree. Whether you celebrate Christmas as a religious or a secular holiday, you’re bound to have a tree. Some people prefer live trees—and that’s great, even if you still want to rock a blue holiday. But, if you’re looking to go all out with a blue Christmas tree, start here. Looks range from a realistic-ish blue spruce to a 14-foot navy blue stunner.
- Get the National Tree Company 7.5-foot LED Flocked Hamilton Spruce Artificial Christmas Tree at Kohl’s for $687.99
- Get the Holiday Aisle 6.6-foot Blue Frosted Christmas Tree with 300 Lights at Wayfair for $136.99
- Get the Holiday Time 7-foot Pre-lit Midnight Ombre Tinsel Spruce Tree at Walmart for $69
- Get the Vickerman 14-foot Navy Blue Artificial Christmas Tree featuring 2,250 Blue Lights at Amazon for $3,049.49
- Get the True Blue Tree, sizes 6-foot to 8-foot, at Treetopia starting at $159
Spread the blues with a tree skirt … or a tree collar
Every magazine-page-worthy, pine-decked standout sparks the impulse to hide an unsightly tree stand with something. Enter: the tree skirt.
Whether you want to embrace the Scandinavian aesthetic or steer more toward something simple, a tree skirt offers the opportunity to bring in both blue hues and some character to your holiday décor.
If you’re more of a neatnik, you can try a tree collar in blue, a rising trend for 2021.
- Get the Autumn Forest Scandinavian Pattern Christmas Tree Skirt at Etsy for $55
- Get the Swedish God Jul Christmas Tree Skirt at Etsy for $45
- Get the Gray Felted Nordic Wreath Tree Skirt at Etsy for $75
- Get the Signature Velvet Tree Skirt in Ink at Ballard Designs for $139
- Get the Arcadia Home Handmade Christmas Lobsters Tree Skirt at Wayfair for $285.99
- Get the Gireshome Blue Faux Silk Berry Embroidered Tree Skirt at Amazon for $25.99
- Get the Blue Silver Snowflake Tree Skirt at Etsy for $24.99
- Get the Pine and Paint Blue Metal Christmas Tree Collar at Amazon for $89.99
Tabletop trees cast a relaxing glow
Just because you live in or work in less square footage—apartment/in-law suite/closet office—doesn’t mean you don’t have space for a Christmas tree. This year, turn to tabletop trees for decorating smaller areas. Not only are they a better fit, they’re much easier to lift! Here are some adorable ones in blue shades.
- Get the Perfect Holiday 4-foot Canadian Pine Christmas Tree at Macy’s for $59.99
- Get the Kringle Express Frosted Colored 3-foot Tinsel Tree with 150 Lights at QVC for $116.95
- Get the Northlight 3-foot Blue Tinsel Pine Tree at Amazon for $27.49
Two trends meet with LED twig trees
If you really want to buck tradition, forget pine boughs all together and deck out your family room with an LED twig tree—in doing so, you’ll be combining two hot trends this holiday season.
You can certainly replace your traditional tree with one of these twig trees, or you can place multiple ones around your living space to create an ambiance that casts a blue aura.
- Get The Holiday Aisle’s LED RGB Electric Lighted Trees and Branches at Wayfair for $135. 99
- Get the Brite Star 3-count 60-light Blue LED Twig Artificial Christmas Tree at The Home Depot for $29.14
Blue hues in stockings say it's a cozy winter
Santa needs somewhere to stuff the more petite presents on your list. Or, maybe you’re planning to propose this year? Don’t let this year’s blue theme stop you from hanging a stocking on the mantle.
There are plenty on the market, whether your style ranges from buffalo plaid to fur-cuffed, or you’re simply looking for something to match your favorite Canadian tuxedo.
- Get the Cozy Cable Knit Personalized Navy Christmas Stocking at Bed Bath & Beyond for $21.99
- Get the Merry Bobbin Handmade Personalized Stocking at Etsy starting at $48.90
- Get the Handmade Minky Stocking in Royal Blue at Etsy starting at $30
- Get the All Roads Textured Stocking in Blue Motif at Anthropologie for $58
- Get the Quilted Navona Stocking at Anthropologie for $48
Ornaments with blue notes give your tree an elegant appeal
When it comes time to decorate your Christmas tree, there are many schools of thought for how to do it right. Some people like to coordinate their ornaments, create a put-together, unified look. Others prefer to infuse their tree with personality, hanging one-off ornaments that recall past vacations, funny events, or cherished memories. Either way, bringing blue into your practice shouldn’t be hard.
- Get the Sattiyrch 16-count Blue Shatterproof Christmas Balls at Amazon for $25.99
- Get the Chinoiserie Chic Christmas Ornament Set at Etsy starting at $58
- Get the Etta Avenue Durian Glitter Baby Blue Ball Ornament Set of 12 at Wayfair for $21.99
- Get the Prextex Midnight Blue 36-piece Christmas Ball Ornaments for $15.99
- Get the Starry Night Ornament Set at Balsam Hill for $249
- Get the Joyful Ornament at Anthropologie for $14
- Get the Glass Dreidel Ornament at West Elm for $13.50
- Get the Holiday Lane At the Beach & Seaside Glass Blue Drop Ornament at Macy’s for $6.29
- Get the G.DeBrekht Limited Edition Oversized Up-Up Away Ball Glass Ornament at Macy’s for $77.99
- Get the Star of David Frame Ornament 2021 at Crate & Barrel for $8.95
- Get the Nordic Embroidered Ornament in Dusk or Navy at Nordstrom for $28
- Get the Glowing Candle Globe Ornament from MoMA Design Store for $49.95
Blues offer unique takes on religious symbolism
Regardless of your cultural or spiritual background, chances are you’re celebrating something in December. Christians commemorate Jesus’ birth with nativity scenes. Those of Jewish faith celebrate Hanukkah by lighting candles in a menorah or hanukkiah over eight days. While blue tones are natural for the Jewish festival, it’s less so for traditional renditions of the nativity—but it’s not impossible.
- Get the Firebird Workshop Wooden Nativity Scene at Etsy for $34.90
- Get the 8-piece Celadon Thai Holy Birth in Blue Ceramic Nativity Set at Novica for $125.99
- Get the Hanukkiah Colorful Metal Cut-out Birds in a Tree at Skirball Cultural Center for $80
- Get the Blue Anodized Aluminum Hanukkiah at Skirball Cultural Center for $40
- Get the Trace Menorah in Midnight at the MoMA Design Store for $155
Candles put a warm spin on cool blues
The only thing that makes the holiday season cozier than hot cocoa and twinkling strings around the tree is candlelight. And, while the flames will always glow orange, candles put a warm spin on cool blues.
- Get the Frosted Bottle Brush Tree Candle in Blue Motif at Anthropologie for $30
- Get the Frost and Mint Large Scented Candle in Glass at Bed Bath & Beyond for $14.99
- Get the Blue Beeswax Menorah Candles, set of 45, at Anthropologie for $38
Assorted décor continues the blue theme
Plump holiday pillows for the couch, festive tea towels, holiday snacking dishes, adorable DIY advent calendars, menorahs, nativity sets, and more. All these things can be done in, yes, shades of blue.
- Get the Fiesta Blue Christmas Tree Luncheon Plate at Kohl’s for $42
- Get the Fiesta Lapis Light Bulb Plate at Bed Bath & Beyond for $19.99
- Get the Hanukkah Blue Mosaic Salad Plates, mixed set of 4, at Williams-Sonoma for $59.95
- Get the Arctic Advent Calendar at Anthropologie for $78
- Get the 18x18-inch Christmas Pillow Covers in Navy, set of 4, at Amazon for $13.99
- Get the Susannah Garrod Holiday Townhouses Dish Towel at Anthropologie for $22
- Get the Your Heart’s Content Handmade Bottle Brush Blue Ombre Trees, set of 3, at Amazon for $47.99
Baubles and blueberries pop on wreaths and garland
Of all the holiday season’s decorations, we think that wreaths and garland say the most about your style. These items are, after all, how you greet your guests during the season, whether it’s a wreath hung on the front door or garlands perched on the mantel or around the tree.
From shiny baubles and flocked pine boughs to minimalist felt pom-poms, your look shows your personality.
- Get the National Tree Company 6-foot Silver-tone and Blue Mixed Ornament Garland at Macy’s for $83.99
- Get the Sheep Farm Felt Aqua Ombre 7-foot Handmade Felt Ball Garland at Amazon for $19.95
- Get the Outdoor Biltmore Sapphire and Gold Foliage Wreath at Balsam Hill for $189
- Get the Wild Ridge Design Handmade Winter Wreath at Amazon for $87
- Get the Blueberry and Sleighbell Christmas Silk Wreath at Wayfair starting at $306.99
The product experts at Reviewed have all your shopping needs covered. Follow Reviewed on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, or Flipboard for the latest deals, product reviews, and more.
Prices were accurate at the time this article was published but may change over time.